Assistant Principal Cello and Section Cello (3 positions)
The Delaware Symphony Orchestra is a per-service orchestra with a minimum of 36 services in the 2022-2023 season.
There is a potential for extra work, including chamber music performances and educational outreach.
Auditions will be held:
Monday, April 24, 2023
Baby Grand Theater
Grand Opera House, 818 North Market Street
Wilmington, DE 19801.
Highly-qualified candidates should email a one-page resume by March 13, 2023 to email@example.com
We reserve the right to reject last-minute applications if space is not available. Due to limited space, priority will be assigned in order of relevant experience.
All communications will be sent via email. No phone calls, please.
- Exposition of the first movement of any standard concerto
- J.S. Bach: Any movement from one of the Cello Suites
Orchestral Excerpts: All candidates must prepare the following excerpts.
1. Beethoven: Symphony No. 5, Mvt. II
A. mm. 1-10,
B. mm. 49-59
C. mm. 98-downbeat of 106
2. Brahms: Symphony No. 2, Mvt. II, Beginning to 2 measures before A
3. Debussy: La Mer, 2 measures before  to 6 measures after . Top line only
4. Mendelssohn: Midsummer Night’s Dream, Scherzo, N to O
5. Mozart: Symphony No. 35, Mvt. IV, mm. 134 – 181
6. Strauss: Don Juan, Beginning to 4 before D
7. Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 4, Mvt. II, measure 21 to A
8. Verdi: Requiem, No. 3, Offertorio, Beginning through measure 34
Additional excerpts for the Assistant Principal Cello position:
1. Brahms: Piano Concerto No. 2, Mvt. III, D to the end
2. Rossini: William Tell Overture, Beginning to measure 48. Top line only
3. Von Suppe: Poet and Peasant Overture, mm. 16-51
1. Prokofiev: Symphony No. 5, Mvt. IV, mm. 79 to 80. Top line only
(This excerpt will be mailed upon request)
2. Smetana: Bartered Bride, Beginning to 4 measures after A
Possible sight reading from standard orchestral repertoire
Please note: Official pitch of the Delaware Symphony Orchestra is A=440.